It is 75 years since the Fram Museum opened!
On 20 May 1936 the museum was inaugurated by King Haakon VII and Crown Prince Olav. A national monument was now in place. Fram Museum is one of Norway’s most-visited museums.
In spring 1936 the work on the characteristic pyramid building was completed and the polar ship Fram was now safely housed. She had been pensioned since 1914 after her third and last expedition, to the Antarctic with Roald Amundsen.
For many years the Fram was moored off the main naval shipyard at Horten, on the Oslofjord before it was decided that she should be restored, saved for the future and given a museum building.
Otto Sverdrup was one of those who fought to save the Fram from rot and souvenir hunters. However, without private sponsors and the dedicated efforts of the Fram’s earlier crew members and volunteers, she would never have been saved.
In 1929 she was towed to Sandefjord for restoration, and in 1934 an architecture competition was announced for a suitable building. Sixty proposals were received and the winner was Bjarne Tøien’s proposal with the motto Saga. The Fram was pulled into her new home with the help of an electric motor. She was moved at a rate of one centimetre per minute. Today the Fram house is a signal building in the capital and one of the city’s greatest attractions.
In 2012 the Gjøa will also be housed. The Fram Museum will thereby have the possibility of developing a more complete Norwegian polar museum and, not least, will secure the Gjøa’s future as an historical object. A building to house the Gjøa will also contribute to the status of Bygdøy as a centre of Norwegian maritime culture.